Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which can provide compensation to me at no cost to you if you decide to purchase a paid plan. We review these products after doing a lot of research, we check all features and recommend the best products only.
To attain a sense of authority in the competitive market, it is a necessity to create and nurture a valuable community of loyal customers and audiences. This can be achieved through content subscription where your business expertise, knowledge and guidance can be shared and exemplified as vital intel with your customers and members.
Today, you have a variety of options to choose from to create this community on your website under the tag of a membership site where you can exchange the information or experience with your customers in return for a signup, registration, or subscription by sharing videos, blogs, podcasts, interactive projects with PPTs or PDFs, among others.
We’ve mentioned the term membership site quite a few times till now but what is the purpose of a membership site? A membership site, as the name suggests, is a website that offers reserved or subscribed content only for the members of the subscribers that have opted for the additional information through a sign-up, registration, or paid subscription.
A membership site works in the favour of the business by achieving the following motives with deep learning and management.
Having established the nature of membership sites, let’s talk about the significance and beneficial value of membership sites in the business algorithm.
Benefits of Creating a Membership Website
Membership sites provide a set of other attributes than just adding subscribed content on the website of a business.
They give assistance in a variety of features such as setting up of interactive documents, registration index, cloud-based data storage, payment gateways, email marketing and some even offer the website building feature.
Membership sites help in fulfilling many services other than creating a community for the audience, following are a few of the many features of a membership site platform;
Having mentioned the core fundamentals of a membership site, let’s shift our focus to the types of tools or systems one can use to create and manage a membership site. Membership sites can be developed by platforms or WordPress plugins and today we will be talking about the latter in detail.
What is a plugin? WordPress plugins are addition of functionality for your WordPress compatible website or an extension of a feature. Plugins can be powerful tools if the user knows the application and its utility.
What to Look for in a WordPress Membership Plugin
WordPress, being an affluent website and system builder offers various plugin integrations which help businesses grow and flourish in terms of their user experience the following are the features you need to look for before choosing your extended plugin,
With this, we have attained all the intel regarding a WordPress Membership Plugin and we will be listing out our best options for membership plugins for WordPress you can also check out the list for Best Membership Site Platforms.
Our Top Picks
- Membership site-building plugin with powerful LMS features and effective promotion tools
- Password protected community forum with dynamic pricing pages
- Drip content and one-click optimization for affiliate marketing
- A diverse range of subscription plans with upselling checkouts and conversion analysis
- Interactive dashboard with analytical reporting and activity metrics
- Shortcodes functionality and group subscriptions.
- A plugin with CMS that allows the creation of courses, lessons, file downloads, and interactive projects
- Unlimited memberships and communities.
Best WordPress Membership Plugins of 2022
- MemberPress – Best for Membership Site Creation
- Memberful – Best for Intuitive and Powerful Interface
- MemberDash – Best Customizable System
- Wishlist Member – Best Centralization of Content Control
- Memberium – Best for Sales Automation
- MemberMouse – Best for Analytical Reporting
- Restrict Content Pro – Best for Content Restriction Tools
- Paid Membership Pro – Best for Optimised Electronic Payments
- S2 Member – Best Multisite Support
- SendOwl – Best Content Management System
- AccessAlly – Best Gamification of Content
MemberPress helps you build engaging WordPress membership sites with secure payment portals and centralized control of who can access your content while creating upsells for digital downloads and online courses as well, all with an easy setup.
- Provides membership renewals and a member portal.
- Access to third-party integrations.
- Seamless creation of pricing pages and payment checkouts.
- One-click optimization for affiliate marketing.
- Lack of multi-user collaboration.
- Lacks real-time reporting.
MemberPress provides thee paid plan options billed yearly with all present features as follows;
Unlimited Members and Unlimited Courses, No transaction fees. Unlike other membership solutions, MemberPress doesn’t charge any additional transaction fees. The only transaction fee you’ll pay is direct to your credit card processor.
No monthly fees, Stripe & PayPal Integration, Subscription Management, Email Automation, Drip Content, Powerful Content Protection, Advanced Publisher Paywall, Coupon Codes, Email Marketing Integrations, Basic Add-Ons & Integrations.
- The Basic Plan: $179/year for 1 site with the above-mentioned features.
- The Plus Plan : $299/year for 2 sites along with the above-mentioned features you get add-ons.
- The Pro Plan: $399/year for 5 sites along with the above-mentioned features you get add-ons.
Memberful provides all the features a user or business requires for creating a membership program with diverse subscription plans, optimized checkouts, dashboard analysis, and much more all under the same plugin.
- Upselling of gift and group subscriptions.
- Customization of branding.
- Provides dashboard analytics.
- Helps in selling memberships without a website.
- Limitations in the A/B Testing.
- Limitation in customer management.
Memberful provides a free starter plan with 2 plans, website-only integrations and selling of private podcasts. And two paid plans with all present features.
The Pro Plan: $25/month + 4.9% transaction fee
The Premium Plan: $100/month + 4.9% transaction fee
MemberDash provides a guided setup process that makes creating a membership area a breeze with powerful builders and dashboards, ease of use checkouts with most features being customizable for a seamless work system.
- MemberDash dashboard offers a quick view of the membership statistics.
- Creation of unlimited memberships and communities.
- Create percent or discount/amount-off coupons.
- Centralised control of the dashboard.
- Limitations in split or A/B testing.
- The live support requires a more seamlessly working system.
- Limitations in email automation.
MemberDash provides all the features such as unlimited users and unlimited membership plans with protected documents, create courses and lessons, custom signup fields, coupon codes & free trials, content templates at 0% transaction fee at $19.95/month with a 7-day trial.
#4. Wishlist Member
Wishlist Member assists in launching a monthly membership, creating an online course library, selling digital products with optimised checkouts and managing it all with a single piece of software.
(courtesy. Wishlist Member)
- Provides secure RSS feeds with a powerful RSS reader.
- Offers GDPR compliance.
- Provide a logic-based system to automate actions.
- Limitations in customizable cases and templates for a few themes.
Wishlist Member provides three paid plans billed yearly on the basis of the number of sites that can be connected with the plugin with the following features;
- 01 site – $149/year
- 05 sites – $299/year
- 20 sites – $399/year
Memberium provides powerful and efficient features for creating a fully automated membership site that is deeply integrated with Infusionsoft which can be together without any custom coding or expensive developers.
- Provides customer billing portals.
- Create automated membership sites with Keap tags.
- Helps deliver free courses as lead magnets to gain new paying customers.
- Members can have multiple levels at the same time.
- Comparatively a slight costlier from other plugins.
Memberium offers three paid plans billed yearly and monthly.
The Standard Plan: $57/month and $570/year for 1 domain and 1 Keap connected app.
The Pro Plan: $97/month and $970/year for unlimited domains and 1 Keap connected app.
The Advanced Plan: $187/month and $1870/year for unlimited domains and 3 Keap connected apps.
MemberMouse is a WordPress membership plugin that helps to support anything you can dream up with the features that empower coaches and entrepreneurs and use the built-in integrations or build your own with their powerful developer tools.
- Provides graphically reporting of trends,
- Offers third-party integrations.
- Upgrade and downgrade functionality.
- Provide a space for personalised content with SmartTags.
- Lack of website management.
- Limitations in the client portal.
MemberMouse offers three paid plans with core and advanced features according to the plan choice.
Builder Plan: $29/month for core features including,
AdvancedPlan: $79/month for core features plus add-ons,
Premium Plan: $199/month for core and advanced features plus,
#7. Restrict Content Pro
Restrict Content Pro is a WordPress membership plugin that is flexible and easy to set up and is easy to extend with a chock full of action hooks and filters making it convenient to modify and tweak to the specific needs of the user.
(courtesy. Restrict Content Pro)
- Provides an interactive dashboard for centralized control.
- Optimized electronic payments and checkouts.
- Offers third-party integrations.
- Membership and content management.
- Limitations in scheduling and calendar management.
- Limitations in reporting and statistics.
- Lacks subscription billing and invoicing.
Restrict Content Pro offers a free plan without any limitation and three paid plans billed annually. All the plans have the basic content features as follows;
- Content Restriction
- Membership Levels
- Member Dashboard
- Stripe Payments*
- Basic Member Emails
- Plugin updates
Personal Plan: $99/year all basic features included for 1 site.
Plus Plan: $149/year all features included for 5 sites.
Premium Plan: $249/year all features included for unlimited sites.
#8. Paid Membership Pro
With 100,000 active installations, Paid Membership Pro is a WordPress membership plugin that provides a set of features such as restricting content, managing member subscriptions with recurring payments, user registration, custom profile fields, and robust member management all under the same unified plugin.
(courtesy. Paid Membership Pro)
- Provides advanced levels of pricing pages.
- Affiliate programming with third-party integrations.
- Offers debugging tools to log errors.
- Helps in offering members-only events with the event manager.
- Lack of campaign management and tracking.
Paid Membership Pro offers a free plan with all present features and two paid plans billed annually.
The Plus Plan: $297/year with Support and Updates for 1 to 5 Sites.
The Unlimited Plan: $597/year with Support and Updates for Unlimited Sites.
#9. S2 Member
S2 Member is a plugin powered by WordPress shortcodes and helps in making complex integrations quick & easy and assists in selling recurring (or non-recurring) subscriptions with flexibility where the user can sell specific posts and pages, access to file downloads or sell custom capabilities that provide highly configurable access to specific portions of the content.
(courtesy. S2 Member)
- Provides an optimized codebase.
- Offers powerful registration pro-forms and shortcodes.
- Provides content dripping and simultaneous login monitoring.
- Event-driven API integrations.
- Limitations for user navigation of content.
S2Member offers a free plan with most of the core features and two paid plans billed once in a lifetime.
- Single Site: $89 non-recurring with all the core features. Perfect for site owners with one domain name. This license is good for a single instance of s2Member Pro running in a standard WordPress installation.
- Unlimited Sites: $189 non-recurring with all the core features. Perfect for site owners with multiple domain names or a Multisite Network. Good for unlimited instances of s2Member Pro.
SendOwl is a one-stop spot for creators and businesses of all sizes to sell, market and manage digital products, services, subscriptions, memberships, and more all under the roof of the same plugin.
- Provides security and streaming of multimedia content.
- Offers embedded and call to action buttons for custom branding.
- Provides coupon and discount code management
- Offer sales automation of digital products.
- Limitations in LMS and CMS tools.
SendOwl provides a range of different pricing according to the use and addition of features in the plan which is divided into standard, self-hosted, and subscriptions.
|Standard||$15/month – 30 products||$24/month – 100 products||$39/month -250 products|
|Self-hosted||$39/month – 2,500 products||$59/month – 5,000 products||$79/month – 7,500 products|
|Subscriptions||$49/month – 125 products||$74/month – 250 products||$99/month – 500 products|
Accessally is a flexible WordPress LMS and membership plugin for coaches and entrepreneurs who with the help of this plugin can easily build courses, memberships, and digital products on WordPress so the user or business has the power and flexibility to conduct the needful.
- Provides recurring subscriptions.
- Interactive and reporting dashboards.
- Offers gamification of content.
- Provides WordPress quiz plugin and affiliate plugin.
- The pricing range is slightly costlier than the competitors.
AccessAlly provides three paid plans that are billed monthly with all core features.
AccessAlly Essentials: $99/month or $82/month if billed annually.
AccessAlly Pro: $129/month or $108/month if billed annually.
AccessAlly In-House Training: $250/month or $208/month if billed annually.
|WordPress Plugins||Key Benefit|
|MemberPress||Provides a wide range of administration tools for creating membership sites|
|Memberful||Offers an interactive dashboard of widgets and automation with the ease of navigation on the site.|
|MemberDash||Assists in creating membership sites with the best customizable tools.|
|Wishlist Member||Provides automation of content control in all aspects of member management and tracking.|
|Memberium||Offers one-click upselling of the content through sales automation|
|MemberMouse||Creates admin, sales, subscriptions and members report through analytical and statistical data.|
|Restrict Content Pro||Provides content restriction for specific parts of your content and drip content.|
|Paid Membership Pro||Offers a range of online payment integrations and subscription billing.|
|S2 Member||Provides various powerful and simple tools for multisite support|
|SendOwl||A plugin that offers a unified forum to create and manage content through a centralised system of control.|
|AccessAlly||Offers a range of gamification tools to make the content more engaging and visually adept.|
Final Verdict: Best WordPress Membership Plugins
All the above-mentioned WordPress membership plugins have a unique feature or contribution of their own and it totally depends on the requirements of the user or business as to which plugin suits them better we are judging our top contender on the following features;
MemberPress provides a vast set of interactive and administrative tools for setting up a membership site for a business with upselling automated sales and seamless provision of registration and checkout features, all in a unified plugin without any technical hassle.
Which is the best membership plugin for WordPress?
MemberPress is the best membership plugin as it provides a vast set of interactive and administrative tools for setting up a membership site for a business with upselling automated sales all in a unified plugin without any technical hassle.
Can WordPress be used for membership?
Yes, other than helping in building websites and blogs, WordPress also offers compatibility with a number of membership plugins to create engaging, interactive and centralized control interfaces for developing memberships and communities for all business sizes.